Bigtincan provides seamless integration between Salesforce (SF) and Bigtincan Hub. The integration also comes with a powerful Content Recommendation feature that enables Salesforce users to make use of related content in Bigtincan hub.
This guide provides an overview to enable installation and configuration of the Bigtincan Content Recommendation plugin. This includes steps required in both Bigtincan Hub and client specific Salesforce instance (i.e., https://company.my.salesforce.com).
Below are assumptions made prior to following the steps in this manual.
- The Bigtincan Content Recommendation plugin for Salesforce requires Salesforce API access and so one of the following Salesforce editions are required:
- An active Bigtincan Hub tenant exists and is enabled to work with SF (i.e. https://app.bigtincan.com)
- Client Salesforce instance up and running (i.e. https://company.my.salesforce.com)
- Outreach to email@example.com requesting licenses for plugin.
Also an administrator of the Company’s Salesforce instance should execute the installation of the package and steps required in this manual.
Please note that if the Salesforce instance is a Sandbox please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org asking for Salesforce Sandbox support.
The Hub requires certain permissions for the integration process. Users must ensure they've allowed the following permissions for properly integration:
Click "Allow" to save the granted permissions and progress to the next step of integration.
Salesforce Package Installation
1Go to the installation page
If you’re not already logged into Salesforce you will prompted to log in.
2From the installation page, choose your audience
Remember, if you restrict the use of the package, it will not be available to every user in your organization.
3Verify Bigtincan API URLs
As an additional step, you will be asked to verify Bigtincan API URLs. This is required to send/ receive information from Bigtincan API servers.
4Complete the installation
Once the installation is complete, you should see an “Installation Complete!” message.
Post Installation Instructions
After the installation, please follow the steps below to start using the plugin.
- Navigate to “Setup”.
- Navigate to Setup-> App Setup-> Develop-> Custom Settings or use quick access menu and search for “Custom Settings”. Click “Custom Settings” to go to the page.
- On the Custom Settings page, find the object called “BTCSettings” and click “Manage”.
- On the BTCSettings detail page, either click on "New" (or "Edit" if it already exists) and copy the URI from the custom BTCSettings.
- From the Bigtincan web app, navigate to Platform Configuration> Custom Apps and select the "Standard OAuth 2.0 (User Authentication)" option.
- Fill out the Application Name field with a descriptive name (e.g., "Salesforce"), add the URL for your Salesforce instance in the OAuth 2.0 URI field and select all of the Application Scope check boxes. Copy and save the Client ID and Client Secret value for use in the next step.
- Return to Salesforce and fill out the BTCSettings form with values from Step 6 and click “Save” (note that the "Security_Token" field is left blank intentionally and that the redirect URI is case-sensitive).
- Update Remote Site Settings in Salesforce.
Update remote site settings to include the prefix set in Platform configuration>Security>DNS
- Enter Setup in Salesforce.com
- Security Controls>Remote site settings
- Edit Remote Site URL to include the DNS alias for both bigtincan_pub_API_US and bigtincan_API_US or the appropriate region specific entries.
- Go to an Opportunity page and click the “Edit Layout” link on the page.
- On Opportunity Layout page scroll down to “Visualforce Pages” and select “Section” on the right hand side, then drag it to a location on the page that you want to display. This will be the container for the Content Recommendation plugin.
- Once you let go of the “Section” widget, you will see the details window (below), enter Section Name as “Bigtincan Content Recommendation," select “1-Column” option and de-select “Edit Page” option. Click OK.
- In the Opportunity Layout window, select “RelatedContentPage," drag and drop into the section you have just created.
- After drag & drop, you will see that the widget lies in that section. Please click the toolbox icon on the right hand side. It will be visible when you move the mouse to that point.
- In Visualforce Page Properties window, modify the height as “680” and select “Show scrollbars” option. Click OK.
- Click Save page layout and you should see the plugin page similar to below;
- Note that If your company does not make end users’ Salesforce email the same as your Bigtincan Hub user email, you will get a warning window similar to below;
- Please have the users go to Me> Settings> General> CRM and save either your “Salesforce Username” or “Salesforce Email” so that authentication and authorization will work smoothly.
- If your Bigtincan Hub instance has a different or customized URL other than https://app.bigtincan.com, please follow the steps 4 through 7 and modify the WEBAPP_URL field with your company’s WebApp URL.
- If you are in a different region than the United States (the default region), you should also modify API_URL by following the same steps 4 through 7. Please check the table below;
Region – API URL Table
Addendum: Enabling SSO for the Content Recommendation package
1. Update BTCsettings to include the prefix set in Platform configuration>Security>DNS
Enter Setup in Salesforce.com
Develop>Custom Settings> BTCSettings
Update API_URL and WEBAPP_URL to include the Company Identifier DNS defined in Platform Configuration Security DNS.
2. Update remote site settings to include the prefix set in Platform Configuration> Security>DNS
Enter Setup in Salesforce.com
Security Controls>Remote site settings> Bigtincan remote site settings (BTCMOBILE)
Edit Remote Site URL to include the DNS alias for both bigtincan_pub_API_US and bigtincan_API_US or the appropriate region specific entries.
The Bigtincan Hub & Salesforce integration has been designed with security in mind, offering a convenient, easy and seamless type of integration to your favorite CRM. Above explained steps can be achieved easily without hassle. Please contact Bigtincan Support in case you have problems, Bigtincan is ready to help you 24/7.