CRM Recommendation Rules within ClearSlide make it easy for reps to find the right content at the right time. Rules ensure that the most relevant Content is personalized and surfaced for any person your team is speaking with. Make consistent, approved messaging easy to find, and let your reps focus on selling.
Recommendation Rules can be built by matching content to any standard or custom fields on the following Salesforce objects:
Simple rules can be built to associate content with an industry, role, or sales stage. Creating a rule with multiple criteria supports more granular selling scenario. For example:
- Recommend a discovery deck for Opportunities in Discovery stage so it’s immediately accessible for reps working on new Opportunities.
- If you have decks in multiple languages, recommend each for the appropriate stage AND the relevant country or language so reps use only content that is relevant for the Opportunity they’re working on.
- Recommend case studies by industry so that reps have easy access to content that speaks to the unique challenges of the industry they’re selling to.
- Recommend decks by role to always deliver a relevant message. Don’t leave it up to your reps to decide whether content is appropriate for an above-the-line conversation; highlight it for them and take out the guesswork.
Recommendation Rules will surface relevant content in ClearSlide, Salesforce, and email plugins (Outlook and Gmail). Regardless of how your team uses ClearSlide, they will be able to find what is most appropriate for their upcoming outreach.
Creating a simple CRM Recommendation Rule
To create a CRM Recommendation Rule, first confirm that your ClearSlide and Salesforce accounts are integrated fully (find more information on that here).
- Expand the 'Content' tab on the left side of your screen and select 'Recommendation Rules' within the Content area. If any rules currently exist for your team (either General Recommendations or CRM Recommendations), they will be listed on this page.
- Click the "Create New Recommendation Rule" button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Once clicked, a window will appear prompting you to fill out the Recommendation Rule Name and then select which field you would like to create a rule for.
Remember that CRM Recommendation Rules can be made for any custom field that your company has on a standard CRM object (Account, Opportunity, Contact, Lead, Product or Campaign).
For example, let's say you want to make a rule so that a particular Asset surfaces when a rep is working an Opportunity in the Discovery Stage. To create that rule, you would
- Select "Opportunity" from the first dropdown. Then select "Stage" from the second dropdown.
- Then select "Is" from the third dropdown.
- Then select "Discovery" from the fourth dropdown.
It should look like this:
- If you’d like to add an additional condition to your rule, click “Add Condition” then choose the operator you’d like to use to connect these conditions (and/or). Then proceed to define the second condition as you did the first. Rules can contain up to 5 conditions using the same operator. If you need to create a rule using multiple operators (ex: (A AND B) OR C), you can accomplish this by nesting multiple recommendation rules. Read more about that below.
- If the recommendation you’re making is only relevant to a specific group or groups within your company, select a group to apply this rule for. Any content this rule is applied to will continue to be accessible according to the content permissions, but the recommendation will only be shown for the selected groups. If no groups are selected, the recommendation will apply for all users.
- Now, you can either save this Recommendation Rule and assign Content to it later or choose to apply this rule to Assets right now. Let's apply the rule to some Assets.
- To apply the CRM Recommendation Rule to some Assets, click the "Save and Choose Content" button.
- You’ll see a page that contains a window prompting you to select certain Assets that you'd like this CRM Rule to be applied to. Use the filters and search bar to find the appropriate content as needed. Use the checkboxes to the left of the Asset thumbnail images to select the Assets that you'd like the CRM Rule to apply to. Click the box above the full list to select all filtered content.
- Once you have made your Asset selection(s), click the "Apply Recommendation" button at the bottom of the window.
- Once you have applied the CRM Recommendation Rule to your Assets, you will be brought to the Recommendation Rule Detail page. From here you can view the Rule criteria as well as which Assets the CRM Rule applies to. You may add or remove Assets from this CRM Rule at any point.
10a. To remove an Asset from a CRM Recommendation Rule, click the checkbox to the left of the Asset title. A red "Remove Asset" button will appear above the upper right corner of the Assets table. Click it to remove the Asset from the CRM Recommendation Rule.
10b. To add additional Assets to this rule, click the “Add Assets” button above the current content list. You’ll then be able to search for and add Assets as defined in step 8 above.
- If you need to edit the CRM Recommendation Rule or delete it entirely, click the gear icon in the upper right corner of the Recommendation Rule Detail page. A dropdown will appear allowing you to either edit the rule or delete it.
Creating a nested CRM Recommendation Rule
You can combine existing recommendation rules to create larger, more complex rules. Before you can start combining rules, you will need to create at least one rule with 2+ conditions.
- Start by creating a new recommendation rule as you did previously
- Once you have at least one rule with 2+ conditions, you should see a new dropdown before each condition in your new rule: Single or Multiple. Choose Single to add a single condition to the rule. Choose Multiple to select one of your existing rules to include in your new rule.
- Continue adding conditions and choosing operators to build a rule that matches your goal, apply the rule to specific groups and save!
Access and Permissions
Recommendation Rules are available only to admin users by default. If you have a team of users you would like to be able to create and apply Recommendation Rules, update their Group settings to enable access: